Are you a vehicle resident?
- Do you live in a vehicle as your primary accommodation?
- Do you work in community outreach or social services with people who live in vehicles?
- Do you want to learn more about legal advocacy and public policies to protect the civil rights of vehicle residents?
- Do you have expertise you can contribute to our conversations about vehicle residency?
CLICK HERE to learn about the National Vehicle Residency Collective
CLICK HERE to learn more about our partners and sponsors.
About the Summit
March 8, 2023 – Recorded Sessions Now Available!
Our volunteers have completed the editing and uploading of the recorded sessions. You may now watch the 2022 Summit playlist in chronological order, or watch your favorite individual sessions on our Summit Schedule page.
Also, we are still going through all of the requests to join the collective’s working groups. It’s a bit of a manual process, so please bear with us as our volunteers input you into the proper areas. We will email you when you’ve been added and invite you to join our monthly meetings.
November 20, 2022 – Announcement from the Coordinators:
The 2022 Summit has successfully completed! We had a fantastic event! The National Vehicle Residency Summit brought together 450 attendees from across the country for two inspiring days of learning, sharing, and community. Thank you to all of our amazing presenters and attendees for making this inaugural event a success!
We will put the recorded sessions and materials on our website at www.vehicleresidency.org, when available. Our team of volunteers is working diligently to upload the videos from the Summit to our YouTube channel and website. Thank you for your patience while we get those up as soon as possible.
You can keep the momentum going now by joining the National Vehicle Residency Collective.
The Vehicle Residency Summit will be held on November 18-19, 2022 as a virtual event, using Zoom. This is right on the heels of the National Forum on the Right to Human Housing.
Summit speakers will include:
- Graham Pruss, PhD
- Tristia Bauman, JD (National Homelessness Law Center)
- Karina O’Malley (Safe Parking programs)
- William Sweeney (Colorado Safe Parking Initiative, Metro Denver Homeless Initiative)
- Tim McCormick (Housing Alternatives Network)
- Bob Wells (Cheap RV Living; Nomadland)
- Suanne Carlson (Homes on Wheels Alliance, Nomadland)
Topics will include:
- Who are vehicle residents
- Criminalization of vehicle residency / Fighting towing and impoundment
- State and federal policies / Federal definition of homelessness and funding for parking programs
- Raising positive public awareness around vehicle residency
- Why our public lands are closing and how to stop it/How to fight closures of public space
- Vehicles as Permanent Housing
CLICK HERE to see the full schedule of sessions!
The National Vehicle Residency Summit (NVRS) is brought to you by volunteers from the UCSF Benioff Homelessness and Housing Initiative, National Homelessness Law Center, the Homes on Wheels Alliance, and Cheap RV Living.